I could not say that I really hate you, but I really despise you with all my little and black heart (or maybe non-existent).
Maybe, you are thinking, why now? This is my moment! I have chosen the 24th of December (because in Eastern Europe we celebrate it on the 24th) to write all the things that make me scream: I want to be somewhere where there is no Christmas and no stupid happy commercials!
Although the commercial aspect of Christmas, which I am going to touch upon, later, there are diverse types of depression that come hand in hand with the seasons. We have de spring depression, summer depression, autumn depression, but the one that rises from the ‘holly-jolly’ winter holidays is worse than summing up the others.
But, because it is utterly necessary to participate to the family dinner and ‘preparation’, I am going to list all the things that make me colder than the weather outside (another reason for which, I hate you, Christmas).
Here is my list of becauses’:
- Because… it is mandatory, as Tyler Durden says in Fight Club:
‘We buy things we don’t need, to impress people we don’t like’
- But even if we don’t buy the things just to impress, we are forced by the society to invest and keep money especially for this celebration, which, by the way, was supposed to be a celebration of Christ (not that I am religious, or anything), not a celebration of who makes the most expensive gifts.
Today, it seems that I am very inspired by David Fincher’s movie, Fight Club. It really sums up everything about our society, even though it was released in 1999. It seems like we don’t evolve as fast as technology is. Such a shame.
‘I see all this potential, and I see it squandered. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables – slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don’t need. We’re the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war… Our great depression is our lives. We’ve all been raised on television to believe that one day we’d all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won’t. We’re slowly learning that fact. And we’re very, very pissed off.’ (Tyler Durden, Fight Club)
- Because… everyone is suddenly all individuals become an example for the society! Everything is just like a race, a competition in which we need to see who is going to win the title of ‘The most Christmassy individual’ (the one who is so supportive of others). Now, every beggar is a social cause, you know, that beggar that you almost kicked, because you were looking at your Facebook page, yes, he is now all of a sudden, in your vision. Now you want to help him! Now you acknowledge his suffering and all the suffering in the World! Your blindness disappeared! Now you care! Now you will almost put apart all your hatred towards others! But… everything disappears when this Christmas period is gone.
- Because.. I do not like those standard and stupid text messages, which are only sent because you feel obliged. It is like gaining point toward that award that I was talking about. If there is a possibility that we receive a message that is different than others, we will definitely need to save it and share it immediately! No message is sent with a real personal touch, just maybe the name, at the end of it. Because people need to know who have sent that message, in case that you have deleted that contact. There is no feeling in those messages. There is nothing. Nothing than an obligation.
Here are some examples of those messages. There are so many websites with those messages. It is really difficult to choose one message to fit all the people with whom you are not talking. Oh! But you need to be that ‘good citizen’, aren’t you?
“Faith makes things possible,
Hope makes things work,
Love makes things beautiful,
May you have all three this Christmas!
- “The babe of Bethlehem was born today,
May His peace, love and serenity descend upon you,
And remain with you forever and ever!
Here’s wishing you a blessed and a holy Christmas!”
- “The best gifts in life will never be found under,
A Christmas tree, those gifts are,
- “During this Christmas season, may you enjoy the message of hope, love, and peace on Earth. May all of these holiday blessings be yours to keep. Here’s to wishing you a Merry Christmas.”
- “Merry Christmas, my love. I hope you love the gifts I have for you, and I can’t want to see the smile on your face.”
- “Gifts four towers, Santa Claus on scooter reindeer with a red nose, first star shining, everything that you only need and it is filed these requests Merry Christmas!”
- “Christmas is love… Christmas is dedication…
Christmas is happiness… Wishing you and your family
A happy Christmas with a bunch of love and prayers.”
- “Before The Church Bells Ring,
Before The Holy Star Appears,
Before Networks Get Jammed,
Let Me Wish You A,
9. “I heard the bells on Christmas Day,
Their old, familiar carols play, and wild and sweet,
The words repeat of peace on earth, good-will to men!
- “The best gifts in life,
Will never be found under,
A Christmas tree, those gifts are,
Friends, family, kids & the one you love,
(all taken from http://www.imerrychristmaswishes.org/christmas-sms-messages.html – if you have to look more for examples)
I just wanted to create a visual image of diverse Christmas wishes, I am sorry for the spam, but maybe, you need to check your phone to see if one of these messages appears there too.
- Because… you need to make so much food (which is going to the trash), but I mean, so much food, that you could feed an entire army of hungry soldiers, preparing for a war. On the other hand, I am forced to eat. In this ‘magical’ moment, every member of the family needs to eat as much as they can. Creating a new competition! Who is going to make his/hers liver cry?
Here are different pictures of a traditional Romanian Christmas feast (your liver is already crying).
I stopped at three because I did not want to make your liver cry too much.
- Because… all the advertising is so straight forward! You need to waste money! There are Christmas special offers everywhere! But, one of the most ridiculous offers was the one in which that shop was suggesting that construction materials are the best Christmas gift. Maybe, if I wanted to build a new house, it could be, but I’m not.
- Because… everyone believes they are Santa Claus. I mean, what does a small kid understand when he or she is seeing everywhere people with Santa hats? Moreover, this Santa hat trend is killing me. Is there, in the far-away future a chance for it to disappear? I truly praise Coca-Cola for destroying this holiday with its consumerism.
- Because… you need to be always happy, always thriving with energy! And it makes me puke. It is so fake, that it hurts. For real, it hurts my face to smile too much. I don’t know how many people are achieving this performance of keeping a smile on their faces the whole season. It is truly a mystery.
- Because… all this Christmas holiday is making me very, but very lazy. I am a lazy person, but after one month, here comes the monster of laziness. And, then, the University comes and I am caught into assignments, readings and lectures through which I need some precious time to accommodate. Not to mention, the stress of being so far, far away from home.
- Because… everyone is excited about this period of time, starting from autumn. I don’t get it. It annoys me.
I am going to finish my list with a Dr Seuss quote, as this season can transform me into Grinch, again. I was a Grinch for a period of time, but now I just let it pass. I am just hiding in my room, in a low-light, always in fluffy pyjamas, away from the Christmas lights.